Hello there birthday month. You are one of my favourites, even though you are freezing cold and everybody goes into hibernation mode. Here are a few things I’ve been up to lately, and some things I’ve been reading and drinking and experiencing:
- This past weekend we went to a wedding in Bot Rivier and stayed in the most stunning farm cottages on Beaumont Family Wine Farm. They’re the original cottages form the 17th century, with wooden beamed ceilings, porcelain fireplaces, claw footed baths, piles of antique books, board games, exquisite vineyard views and the most delicious wines. Only an hour and a half’s drive from Cape Town, this area is perfect for family weekends out in pristine nature.
- What are the essentials you keep in your medicine cabinet? I gave my answers to Hippo recently on the one thing we as a family cannot live without (not in the literal sense).
- I’ve always been afraid of bright lipstick as I always thought it made me look like a clown! But I’ve just discovered Mac’s Ruby Woo and it completely transformed my look by adding that touch of glamour. It’s red but in a matte/vintagy sort of way and I’m such a fan.
- I found this piece really interesting that a friend shared on how our perception of the world is completely skewed and warped by social media. We surround ourselves with people that think similarly to us and what do we do if we don’t agree with something they say? We block them on Twitter or mute them on Facebook. So when something like Brexit happened recently, the whole world goes into shock because they believed that everyone else thought just like them. Fascinating stuff.
- Last week I went to an event organised by Hill’s pet food and I came away with mascara running down my cheeks. Watch the video about how rescue dog Skyler had her life transformed by Hill’s and I guarantee that you’ll also be blubbing. Their new site hopes to encourage hundreds of South African pet parents to share their similar stories and stand a chance of winning cash every week and a R50 000 family holiday (yes please).
- Fellow blogger Stacey Vee’s piece on “why the worst thing to happen to her was the best thing to happen to her” makes for very powerful reading.
- Little Big Wines is a very nifty new wine concept by wine tour company Wine Flies, who have launched a bottle of wine that fits exactly two and a half glasses into it. This “handbag-sized bottle” is perfect for those nights where you don’t want to drink a whole bottle (but you still want a glass with your meal) – plus their Dry Red is very drinkable too.
- Are you into health and wellness? Nicole and Marisa run the beautifully curated Wellness in the City blog which features some great ideas and inspiration on how to live a healthy and rich life. I follow them on Instagram and I’m always learning about cool new stuff.
- On that note, I’ve just ordered these divine mermaid gym pants from Mermaids and Unicorns and I’m soooooo excited for them to arrive. Why should exercising be dull? Plus they are good value at R350 (including delivery) and are proudly South African produced (thanks Candice from A Gorgeous Life for the heads up!).
- And as a complete contradiction to the above two points, how divine do these Malva Pudding Doughnuts look?! Because: balance.
Have wonderful wintery weeks.
P.S. Here is a picture of me in a toilet. But look at my lipstick?!