Parenting, Writing

Is this Still a Parenting Blog?

April 17, 2018 | 14 Comments

You probably haven’t noticed that my blog posts are less frequent than usual, but I have. At my most productive I was churning out about three posts a week, but now I’m struggling to complete even one a week, and this little fact follows me around on my shoulder all day long.

I also counted the ten last posts that I’ve written personally, and only two were specifically related to parenting. The other eight definitely mentioned my family, but they were on general topics like food and books and style and travel. Can I still call this a parenting blog then? Parents, by their nature, are (mostly) multi-faceted humans, made up of different interests beyond their children and their immediate needs, so it’s natural that their blogs would be too.

But every time something happens with my kids these days, or they say something cute or funny, I think before I write, and wonder if they’d like me sharing it, or be okay with looking back on it one day. Part of this is about them getting older, and I know I’m certainly not the first to feel this way – I’ve seen a similar thing mentioned countless times on other parenting blogs that I follow, as their kids grow from babies and toddlers into little people.

Rachel can now read, which is wonderful, but she also now comes up behind me while I’m typing, and starts reading over my shoulder. I deserve privacy,  but then so does she. There are high chances her friends’ parents or her teachers may have found this blog (and Ben’s friends and teachers too) – which is mostly the idea of a blog: you write so that people will read it, but once more people actually start reading it, you get a bit spooked. I know, being a blogger (or writer in general really) is not exactly straight forward.

So I’ve been playing around with rebranding this blog: taking it out of the realm of parenting, but then do I change its name? How do I position myself? I will always write about my kids and my family though, they are a rich and beautiful part of my life, and I’ve come to the conclusion that parents don’t just need blogs when their babies are in nappies. They need them as their kids grow and they have to grapple with homework, schools, bullying, tweens, teens and beyond. These are difficult topics, and parenting may get less physically demanding, but that certainly doesn’t mean it always gets easier.

I also think you can write about parenting topics that relate to your life, and what you’re grappling with right now – without getting too personal or specific. That’s my plan anyway. And I don’t want to force it – if nothing parenting-related comes up for a few weeks, then “lifestyle content” it is. As a good friend just said to me, only blog when you want to, otherwise you’ll come to resent it. This was my happy space that I created to express myself, and I shouldn’t feel too much pressure to churn out content.

There will be always be parenting bloggers who blog more frequently, with much higher readership figures than me and I accepted that long ago. What I write doesn’t appeal to lots of people – it’s “very niche” as that same friend kindly put it once (i.e small;). But I hope you continue to come here for the reasons that you always have, even though I’m not posting quite as regularly, or writing as many parenting-related posts. Who knows? Everything could change in a few months and my blogging could become a lot more frequent again.

Anyway, thanks as always for reading, and for all your positive feedback and lovely comments – they make my heart very happy and put an instant smile on my face.

If you want to get notified when I do write new posts, just fill in your email address on the right hand side where it says “SUBSCRIBE”. I’m also a lot more active on Instagram than anywhere else right now – so you can follow me here.

Image from Robyn Rose Photography

14 Comments

• Reply hopefulltreasures April 17, 2018 at 8:59 pm

I always enjoy your posts – parenting related or otherwise! Keep on doing what you are doing! Megan xx

• Reply Esrida Brits April 17, 2018 at 10:14 pm

Very valid points! All of us Mombloggers must keep in mind that our subjects are people in their own right, and so we have to adjust and change as needed. To keep them safe, and us as well 🙂

• Reply Belinda Mountain April 18, 2018 at 6:52 am

Exactly Esrida – it’s all about adapting as and when necessary…

• Reply Jonelle April 18, 2018 at 10:17 am

To be honest Belinda, I’ve always thought of you as a parent who blogs but not a “mommy blogger” in the same way I see myself. I don’t think I’m a mom blogger, though others call me that but my blog is just my life and part of my life is being a mom. I don’t think you need to rebrand it – just keep doing what you do!

• Reply missmelissawrites April 18, 2018 at 11:17 am

Adaptive attunement, according to philosopher Aaron James. While he applies it to surfing a wave, (being in tune with the ocean and adapting your movements accordingly) I find it useful in all avenues of life. You write beautifully, so however you adapt your blog, I am sure will be amazing.

• Reply caleyjaderosenberg April 19, 2018 at 7:49 am

You nailed it with this “Only blog when you want to, otherwise you will come to resent it” – and your authentic space is available when you are ready to blog… I have always thought that a more lifestyle approach is better when our blogs start to evolve x

• Reply _eatwithaspoon April 19, 2018 at 9:11 am

If you can, I think writing about parenting as kids get older is extremely valuable. Cath Jenkins always says that there are HUGE resources to draw on when kids are tiny, but they kind of peter out once kids are school age. By the time they’re teenagers, you may as well be parenting in a vacuum! Of course, the kind of content changes – maybe it’s more about your journey, struggles and triumphs as a parent, instead of them as kids – but for me, it really helps to be able to read about other people’s experiences along every step of the way.
    So thanks, I appreciate what you do here, and I don’t stress about the frequency. TBH, that’s probably only something that the actual blogger would worry about anyway – the rest of us are too busy worrying about our own stuff to notice – but when the content comes along, it’s always welcome!

• Reply Belinda Mountain April 22, 2018 at 8:05 pm

You’re so right – everybody is far too busy to notice – good to be reminded of that when I feel pressure to post frequently!

• Reply Theresa April 19, 2018 at 6:52 pm

I don’t think it needs to be limited by a blog category…. that’s a big part of its appeal, actually. I look forward to each post, even if it takes me a bit of time to get to them these days!

• Reply Belinda Mountain April 22, 2018 at 8:04 pm

Ah thank you Theresa! And that’s an interesting perspective – that I don’t need to limit the genre/category as that is actually part of the appeal…have never thought of that!

Let me know what you think!